In the spotlight

In the spotlight
Consciousness expresses itself through creation

Sunday 26 April 2015

Inquiry Tools - Pilot Interview

Image Source: http://www.careerspages.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/questions-and-answers.jpeg?ff8c7c

I decided to trial a semi- structured interview with one of my colleagues on Skype in order to see if this approach was suitable for me to adopt for my inquiry.  

The questions I asked were all in relation to the dance teaching experience for people with ASD.


Below are some of the questions I asked and the answers she gave:

                
 SEMI-STRUCTURED INTERVIEW WITH COLLEAGUE

Q: Have you got experience in teaching dance to people with Autism Spectrum Disorder ?

A: Yes I have taught several children in my dance classes over the years who have been at the mild- mid range of the autistic spectrum.

Q: What age were these children? 

A: They ranged in age from 6 - 16 years.

  Q: Did you integrate the children with ASD into your usual classes?

A: Yes

Q: Did this present you with any challenges?

A: One or two. 

Q: Can you tell me about some of these challenges and how you overcame them?

A: The first pupil I taught with ASD was reticent to join in when it came to partner or group work and hid in the corner of the room. I overcame this by telling my pupils who to work with whom rather than giving them a choice so that I made sure the pupil with ASD was never left out. I always rotated the groupings and this way the pupil got to know the rest of the class members and ceased to feel isolated. Once I could see the pupil had gained confidence and felt accepted by the other class members, I was able to allow the class to make their own choice of groupings. I have used this strategy ever since and it has worked well, not just with pupils on the autistic spectrum but with all shy new comers into the classes.

There was a little boy once who, when he first came into the class, ran round and round in circles and didn't want to stand in line with the others. I had to adapt my warm up to make it into a game so that all the children began by running in a circle to the music and when the music stopped the person who was the stillest would get a sticker. Gradually I changed it from running in a circle to running, follow my leader style, in a pattern and then changed the running to incorporate other movements such as skipping and jumping. This way the child learned that he had to follow instructions and soon settled down.


Q: What age was this little boy?

A: He was 6 years old.

Q: How did the rest of the children in the class respond to these warm up games?

A: They really enjoyed them and we were able to develop the game so that they added their own ideas to the follow my leader approach.

Q: Did the little boy also contribute his ideas?

A: Not initially, but, once he understood what was required, he did contribute and was very enthusiastic about it.

Q: Did he respond well to the rest of the class?

A: Yes. At first his attention would wander about half way through the class and I had to work hard to keep him stimulated and motivated, but, as the weeks wore on, his attention span increased and he became very involved in the whole class.

Q: So would you say that the dance classes helped him?

A: Most definitely and in fact his parents said his teachers at school had noticed a real improvement in his school work since he started dance classes.  

Q: Did you find that the all the pupils with ASD that you taught benefited from your dance classes and, if so, how did they benefit?

A: Yes. Parents often remarked that they had noticed an improvement in their child's confidence and social skills. I could also see a marked improvement in the co-ordination of some of my pupils. 

Q: Did all the pupils you taught have co-ordination difficulties?

A: No, some were very co-ordinated and showed great potential for dance. Every child was different.

Q:  You mentioned the parents' responses- do you liaise frequently with the parents of pupils with ASD?

A: Yes I feel that it is really important to involve the parents so that I know what they enjoy and what causes them distress so that I can try to provide them with the best experience that I can in my dance classes.  

Q: Did you find that having a pupil with autism in your classes was detrimental to the rest of the class members or beneficial?

A: I certainly don't think it has been detrimental in any way. I would say that it has been beneficial because it encouraged me to think outside the box a bit when teaching. For instance some people with autism respond to visual stimulus so I take photographs in to illustrate some of the dance positions I want the children to do and occasionally I show them video clips. All my pupils have responded well to these approaches.

Q: Would you say then that including people with ASD in your dance classes had been a positive experience for you?

A: Yes I think it has made me a more creative teacher.



CONCLUSION

I think this semi-structured interview approach worked well for my inquiry because, I had some specific questions that I wanted to ask, but I also wanted the teacher to feel free to talk about her experiences and to see what questions emerged as a result. In talking about the little boy she mentioned I was able to develop a very useful line of questioning that revealed far more about the teacher's methods than I could have gleaned by a completely structured approach. 

I am aware that conducting an interview in person will be more difficult than a Skype interview because the interviewee might be nervous and their responses may be influenced by their desire to be seen in a positive light. Despite this I think it will provide me with valuable insight into my research into the dance learning experience for people with ASD.




No comments:

Post a Comment