In the spotlight

In the spotlight
Consciousness expresses itself through creation

Saturday 11 April 2015

5B - Complying with professional codes of ethics.

                                          Image source from: www.algbitical.org

Having reread the health and safety policies and codes of professional policies for dance teachers of both dance organisations of which I am a registered teacher I believe that I am complying with these in my work. 

I mentioned the fact that I sometimes skirted around issues with parents, such as when they sought my opinion over an adjudicator's decision about their child or wanted me to approve a costume that was unsuitable or allow their child to perform a dance that was beyond their capabilities at that time. I gave answers that I considered professional and appropriate but which, if taken at face value, could possibly be interpreted as being evasive and possibly at odds with one of the codes of practice of one of the societies I am registered with which states:

A teacher must at all times:

       "act with honesty and integrity". 

If you take it that, by not telling the parent that I didn't like the costume she had produced, I was not being honest with that parent or that, in choosing not to reveal my personal feelings about an adjudicator's decision, I was also not being honest with the parent, then it could be argued that I was in breach of this clause. I would argue that I was ,however, not being dishonest but rather that I was being tactful and trying to maintain professionalism. 

The other society, for which I also examine, words their policy differently stating that a teacher should:


      " behave with integrity in all professional and business relationships. Integrity implies not merely honesty but fair dealing, courtesy and consideration."

I think that I was being considerate to the parent's feelings in not condemning the costume or stating categorically that the child was incapable of performing a solo at that time.I also believe that I was behaving with integrity with regard to respecting the professional opinion of the adjudicator and not undermining her judgement to the parent.

It is interesting to note how different wording in policies can lead to different interpretations. It made me reflect upon the fact that I have to be so careful in everything I say and do in my work to avoid any potential situations where others could misconstrue my intentions.

I have also given thought to the fact that I should produce a disclaimer for people to sign when I give classes and workshops in different venues which exonerates me from any blame for a breach of health and safety conditions for which they are responsible.

Below is a section from the health and safety policy for teachers of dance from the society for which I examine:

      "A teacher should:
• ensure that classes are of a size appropriate to the levels and techniques being taught and the space being used. Students in each class should be of compatible age and/or standard. • be aware of developments in Child Protection legislation and undertake Criminal Records Bureau enhanced disclosure as required.
• ensure that teaching facilities are adequately maintained and provide:
1. suitable flooring appropriate to the technique taught, with a clean, safe surface; to minimise the risk of injury;
2. adequate heating levels and ventilation;
3. suitable, secure and safe area for changing.
• abide by Health and Safety statutory legislation requirements, understand his or her responsibility in case of a medical emergency and keep records in an accident book.
• ensure that all fire regulations are displayed and adhered to."

I am considering including this in my disclaimer so that schools are fully aware of the environment they should be providing for dance.

My decision to stop the injured child from taking the examination is backed up by the society's equal opportunities' policy which states the society:

      "reserves the right to refuse entry to a particular candidate because of a reasonable belief that undertaking the examination will create a risk to the health or safety of the candidate.....
The examiner also has the right to stop an examination if s/he considers that there is a risk to the health or safety of the candidate if they continue.  

With regard to the chaperones and CRB checking parents I have since read the government's policy below:

      "Keeping Children Safe in Education
Statutory guidance for schools and colleges March 2015"

It states that:

      "84. Volunteers who on an unsupervised basis teach or look after children regularly, or provide personal care on a one-off basis in schools and colleges will be in regulated activity. The school or college should obtain an enhanced DBS certificate (which should include barred list information) for all volunteers who are new to working in regulated activity. Existing volunteers in regulated activity do not have to be re-checked if they have already had a DBS check (which includes barred list information). However, schools and colleges may conduct a repeat DBS check (which should include barred list information) on any such volunteer should they have concerns."

I can see that the festival organisers were seeking to comply with the above. However I do feel that, as the volunteers in this instance were the children's own parents, they were taking things a little too far. Had it been a case of just one parent supervising all the children then I can see the necessity for checks but when it was a case of each child with its own parents I think these precautions were unnecessary.

With regard to the issue of whether it is ethical to use touch to correct and assist when teaching dance, I was interested to see that Lianne Cloot-Holt is basing her inquiry round this issue and I found the link to the article below that she references in her blog very useful as it draws the same conclusion that I reached and that is that each school should drawer up its own policy with regard to physical correction of its students and make the parents and pupils aware of this.

http://www.communitydance.org.uk/DB/animated-library/hands-on-hands-off.html?ed=14068

I also found the comments on safe training with regard to gymnastics interesting in the above article as I have had pupils come to me from a gymnastic background whose parents have stopped them from gymnastic training because of concerns over the way their young bodies were being limbered. 

I have also had pupils come to me who have previously been taught by unqualified teachers and who have developed very bad faults as a result of poor teaching. This is another ethical consideration. When you are dealing with young bodies, if you do not have the necessary training and experience yourself to implement safe teaching then I firmly believe you should not be allowed to teach, as you can potentially damage young bodies if you don't know what you are doing.


I certainly agree with the fact that children's safety is of paramount importance and that teachers have a duty to protect their pupils from harm, but I also think that common sense and professional judgement should be used in determining how that is implemented.

In line with the safe guarding of pupils is the need to adhere to the Data Protection Act and keep pupil's contact details private and ensure that they cannot be accessed by any unauthorised people. I have always made sure that my pupil's information is securely stored.


With regard to copyright I have licences from PPL and PRS and always make sure I have all the necessary permission before using any music for my classes and any performances that my pupils are involved in.









No comments:

Post a Comment