In the spotlight

In the spotlight
Consciousness expresses itself through creation

Sunday 22 November 2015







Image source: http://www.askkatheperez.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/questions-answers-cloud_question_mark.jpg



QUESTIONS AN ANSWERS ON THE ARTICLE "A MOVEMENT AND MUSIC PROGRAM FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM" BY SANDRA STRATTON GONZALEZ




After having read Sandra Stratton Gonzalez' article above I emailed her and below are the questions I posed together with the answers she gave me.


Being able to contact Sandra helped me to think about the questions I posed to the dance teachers delivering the classes that I observed for my inquiry. It gave me an idea of how a possible dance class for the autistic range might be structured and made me more are of what to look out for in my class observations for my inquiry.



QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS


1.Do you use musical accompaniment for your welcome and warm up songs or are they sung without music?

Most of the warm up is sung with no accompaniment. Toward the end I sit at the drum and accompany myself on the djembe.

2.When you get a new student how do you initially teach the movements and words to them? Do you explain what you want them to do or do you just do it yourself and ask them to copy you? Do you break it down in sections or teach it as a whole? 

I teach the warm up sequentially and we do it together. When I meet my kids in Pre K we start with 'Hello I Love You,' a naming song. I introduce the first two warm up songs the first class. As the fall proceeds, the children are introduced to more material. 

3.Do you use these same songs as a warm up for your non- verbal students? If so, how do they respond?

Yes - I use the songs in a shorter version with more repitition. My non-verbal students respond beautifully to the combination of rhythm, text, melody and movement. In some cases, students who cannot speak will sing.

4.In the circle dance how do they respond to holding hands as some people on the autism spectrum don’t like to be touched? What do you do in this instance?

If a child does not want to hold hands she is not forced to. In some cases a child will be shadowed by their paraprofessional, dancing behind her or him. In other cases a child will be support in staying in their dancing spot. 

5.You mention using a drum as an accompaniment and other percussive instruments, do you use any recorded music in your classes and if so how do the students react to it? Are any of them bothered by the loud sounds made by the percussive instruments? What would you do in this event?

Yes, I used recorded music. I will adjust volume for sensitive ears, and often provide headphones for children who need them. I play many different types of music in class and students have a range of preferences. Most students thoroughly enjoy both the drums and recorded music.

6.Are your dance movements based on any particular technique?

My own dance background is Limon based modern and ballet. I describe the technique I use in class as modern/jazz.

7.Do you try to correct and perfect their execution of the movements or is it more about just getting them to move?

The degree to which I work to perfect technique depends on the individual student and class. I do consistently reinforce basic technical skills such as 'keeping your knees over your feet,' working within a child's natural turn out, building core strength, and working on balance, flexibility and stamina. In early childhood I believe the skills are learned by doing, not by describing.

8.How much praise and/ constructive criticism do you give the students?

I try to notice and point out each child's effort and successes, and minimize attention to negative behaviors. During the sharing of student work, I use peer prompts to ensure that peer critique is positive and constructive, even with the babies. 

9.How did you initially devise this class structure and content? How long did it take you and have you adapted it since it was first devised? Did you try it out it in any way first?

Curriculum evolves over time. I create between 3 and 6 units of instruction for each grade level per year and one unit for the 6 week summer session.

My current Pre K class is a development of  Pre K class I taught in a private studio 20 years ago. At that time, working with 3 year olds, I discovered that if I sang, my students focused better. Since that time I have added drumming to the mix. For awhile I was partnered with a drama teacher and I have adapted many of her creative drama activities into my practice. Other influences are the Dance Education Laboratory courses and city-wide PD. I always pay attention to the grade level curriculum, and will incorporate themes into class such as life cycles (Pre K and K) and social skills development (all grades). Finally, I respond to the children in the room. Some classes need an entire unit on following one and then two step directions!

10.Did anyone else influence you in the creation of your dance programme?

I think I just answered that!

11.What is your own dance background and how did you originally get interested in working with students with autism?

I have been teaching since the late 1970's, all ages and in many different settings. From 1985 - 1999 I was the Artistic Director of Soundance Repertory Company, where I danced, choreographed and taught. I began working with special needs children in the early 90's as a teaching artist. I was hired by PS 372 in 1999. At our main site, every class at every grade level is comprised of 10 children with special needs and 15 typically developing. I have learned primarily through experience!

Seven years ago I began teaching summer school, working with children with autism from our satellite program. These children have more severe challlenges than the children in inclusion. 

My formal education in working with special needs children includes several courses taken once I was hired in 1999 and workshops with the amazing Diane Dugan, a dance educator and psychologist with the Department of Education.


12.Can you tell me about about Linda and how much input she had? What is her background? How did you come to work together?

Linda Walker is a para professional with over 20 years of experience and is an expert in classroom management. She is also a professional musician. We were assigned to work together in the summer program for 2 years. Unfortunately, our school budget now dictates that she is in a grade level classroom. She crafted many of the drumming activities that I continue to do with my students.

13.What is the age range of the students you teach? 

Ages 4 through 11.

14.Have you tried it out / adapted it for different age ranges?

From Pre K through Grade 6.

15.How much information do you have about each student prior to them attending ( - e.g. medical info) ?

I have access to their Individualized Education Plan.

16.Do you have verbal and non verbal students in the same class?

Yes. 

17.How much liaison is there between their parent/carer?

Not too much in the summer program as there are no parent/teacher conferences in summer school. Our communication is primarily written. During the school year there is considerable communication including PTA meetings, parent/teacher conferences, newsletters, individual conferences as requested.

18.Have you ever had to exclude anyone from the programme?

No - we include every child enrolled in the school.

19.Have you found that your programme has helped your students in their lives outside the dance class?

Yes. Many children have grown in self-confidence, some have improved their verbal skills, some discovered skills they did not know they had.


20.Have you found that working with students with autism has enhanced your own teaching in any way? If so how? Have you made any changes in your own teaching for people not on the autistic spectrum as a result of this dance programme?



I am much more careful to provide multiple entry points to tasks and to curriculum. I take care to set up my classroom to be clutter free yet rich in materials and supplies. I state expectations clearly and consistently. I have incorporated strategies such as repitition, proximity control and hurdle help. I also teach self calming techniques.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn,

    thanks for posting this interview. I want to approach dance professionals who work in community dance to interview them for my inquiry. Clearly Sandra was very helpful getting back to you, maybe we can talk about how you approached her and what you stated in the email?
    As a dance teacher as well, I think the section where she explains how her practice with special needs children has changed her classes with people who are not on the autistic spectrum. I think having resources such as musical instruments and also singing in class is something I would like to incorporate into my own. I acknowledge the importance of incorporating drama technique sinto a class as well. Especially with young children I found that I learnt alot after teachign 6 weeks of drama classes. Many of the focus games and techniques I use with my voice now help hold engagement in my ballet classes.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,

      My tutor, Adesola Akinleye, had forwarded me a link to Sandra's article because she thought it might be of interest to me. It was of great interest! The article had been emailed to her and included Sandra's email address. I asked Adesola if she thought it would be appropriate for me to contact Sandra and she replied that she didn't see any reason why not, so I did. I initially sent an email informing Sandra of my research and explaining why I found her article of such interest. I asked if she would mind answering some questions that I had after reading her article, either by email or Skype. She replied and said she was very willing to help and suggested email contact first. You will see from her replies how thoroughly she answered and I am very grateful to her for taking the time and trouble to do so.

      I have been very fortunate in getting many people's input for my research. It never hurts to ask anyone directly, if they are too busy they can always say no!

      I agree with you that Drama plays an important part in the dance class- not just with little ones, but it can be beneficial at all levels. As dancers, we are also actors/actresses because we have to feel and understand the emotions needed to convey a mood/theme. I have always taught Drama classes as well as Dance to my students to enhance their performance skills.

      Please feel free to contact me if I can help in any way with your research.

      Delete